Stepping from preschool to primary is a big step for a child, which is both exciting and a little scary – not only for children, but for parents too. Any change in routine and environment not just in child care, but in any aspect of life can be unsettling, so it’s understandable that as a parent you worry how your child will cope and transition from preschool to big school.
There is no doubt the transition from child care to primary school is big, both emotionally and academically. The shift from play base to education, learning increases and the nature of work and how long they apply themselves changes. Children are expected to take all this in their stride while coping with new faces, environment and independence.
The transition from preschool to school is a vitally important time in your child’s life, and how it is managed is down to the child care center. What curriculum is in place at the start of the year, timelines and transition procedures towards the end of the year?
Ensuring a smooth transition
Enrolling your child in kindy/a child care center is the start of their formal school training. The kind years before preschool is the time to learn important skills like, new social experiences, taking turns, patience, learning to be away from mom and dad, and how to form friendships. A child care center is the first steps to help them achieve success in school academically and socially.
From preschool to prep is all about reinforcing social learnings, emotions and teaching the basics of education. You child care center/preschool will start doing activities to get them school ready by:
- Following a routine
- Lining up
- Sitting and attending group time
- Academics: tracing, shapes, recognition of numbers, basic writing of name, general knowledge, sounds and knowing their ABCs
What the parents can do
- Don’t over prepare
- Establish an everyday schedule
- Try to stick with morning and bed time routines
- Sit and teach your children anything, they love to learn
- Always make time for reading (reading enhances your child’s vocabulary and love of reading)
- Encourage your child to do things on their own
- Be aware of your child’s separation anxiety and communicate with your new teacher
- Be prepared for a few tears, but stay positive
Your child’s preschool and future primary school will play an essential part in the transition process, and at Creative Kids Educare Child Care we believe that this period of change is a crucially important time in a child’s life, and we treat it as such.
To find out more about how Creative Kids Child Care can ease your child’s transition from preschool to big school contact our child care Director for more information.
Creative Kids Educare Child Care Centres, Gold Coast
59 Munger St
Biggera Waters QLD 4216, Gold Coast
Tel: (07) 5537 9989